Bich Minh Nguyen lived a life of insecurities through which she disabled herself from the world. She came to America as an immigrant from Vietnam with her sister, father and grandmother. They lived in a worn down home until her fathers stepmother rescued them and brought them to the suburbs. While living in the suburbs they went to school where they were commonly made fun of for their race. No matter how hard Nguyen worked she was still ridiculed for her heritage. She lived a hard life that no one should be put through and has to deal with such racism at such a young age. Luckily for me I never had to deal with such trials.
Although this was a fantastic essay that I enjoyed reading I really had nothing in common with Nguyen. I always lived a comfortable life where I was never embarrassed of where I came from. Even though I did not look like my parents because my twin brother (my brother and I are a mix of black, white and Hawaiian) and I are adopted and my parents are as white as marshmallows, it never really bothered me. I was blessed to grow up in time where yes there still is racism but more and more people are learning to accept then to reject other people for how they look.
I have never been the shy girl in the corner, but the loud in your face happy go lucky girl. I have never really gotten extraordinary grades or really tried to. I have had every grade in the book with mostly ending up with B’s. My parents always accepted me for who I was and never really pushed me to be anything else, unless I was not doing to well in a class.
Nguyen did an excellent job on writing this essay, I say this because she was able to keep me interested and feel connected to something I had no idea about. That to me is the best possible writing anyone can ever do.
Although this was a fantastic essay that I enjoyed reading I really had nothing in common with Nguyen. I always lived a comfortable life where I was never embarrassed of where I came from. Even though I did not look like my parents because my twin brother (my brother and I are a mix of black, white and Hawaiian) and I are adopted and my parents are as white as marshmallows, it never really bothered me. I was blessed to grow up in time where yes there still is racism but more and more people are learning to accept then to reject other people for how they look.
I have never been the shy girl in the corner, but the loud in your face happy go lucky girl. I have never really gotten extraordinary grades or really tried to. I have had every grade in the book with mostly ending up with B’s. My parents always accepted me for who I was and never really pushed me to be anything else, unless I was not doing to well in a class.
Nguyen did an excellent job on writing this essay, I say this because she was able to keep me interested and feel connected to something I had no idea about. That to me is the best possible writing anyone can ever do.

1 comment:
In the very first sentence the word "distanced" or "separated" would have been more descriptive then "disabled". Disabled implies that she was impaired in some way but Nyugen choose to separate herself from her classmates and could have chosen not to. I would have liked if you had used authentic voice when talking about your experiences so they would seem more real. You could have also compared yourself not to Nyugen but to her sister Anh. When you talked about how Nyugen wrote her essay I liked how you kept it sort but still delivered your thoughts completely. Again I would have enjoyed a little authentic voice here and there. Overall the response was really together and I liked how you said you only ended up with B's when some wish they had grades like that.
Post a Comment