I agree with the statement that J.R made about the piece being very “powerful... example of good argument". I say this only because he is good at arguing. If a person is stating wrong facts they can easily win as long as they know how to argue and manipulate. It is not a matter on whether they are wrong or right but whether they can make the people around them believe what they are saying. Once the people believe they change their way of living to suit they manipulators.
I am a meat eater, I love eating meat and if it were not in my diet I would cease to exist. However I do believe to an extent in animal rights. Making bags, coats, shoes and other unnecessary articles that people use to accessorize with out of animals is inhuman and a waste of that animal. In that way of treating an animal I do agree when he said “But it is another matter entirely to make people appreciate the disturbing moral costs involved… or enjoying the supple textures of leather coats, Gucci purses or Ferragamo shoes.” On the other hand I do not agree when he says, “ animal liberation is the logical next step in the forward march of moral progress…” I do not believe that animals should have the same rights as we do. They cannot communicate with us and we cannot communicate with them. That is why they have not taken the liberty to invite us into their animal kingdom. Yes we are to treat animals with respect and not torture them but they do not belong sitting next to us in a restaurant.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I agree that this arguementative peice was strongly written as well. I too, am a meat eater just like you but i can live without it. I was overwelmed with the details and facts that he supported his arguement with. The thought of torturing animals never crossed my mind once when i was enjoying a delicious burger and it just goes to show you how inconsiderate we are with animals. Sure its a form of survival but to some extent and once we pass that limit, its nothing but murder. I'll probably go on with my life eating meat but I agree with you on the vanity issue of killing animals. Animals should not be murdered or tortured to death in order for certain indivduals to sample a life of "luxury" with their fur coats and leather furniture.
You were completely right. I read the second part and I found a lot more. I agree that Pollan is great at arguing. I liked how you brought up how we indulge in animal products, like leather purses and fur and that really goes well with what Pollan was saying about how we do things to make the existance of animals disappear completely in those types of products and that is because we already feel guilty. The way humans treat animals is overwhelming and Pollan does a really good job creating sympathy towards them when he compares us to them and that makes us even more guilty because he wrote about how they feel pain and fear just like we do. I love meat too, but the first part of this essay made me rethink it a little.
Post a Comment